409 S. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266     Mon – Fri: 9am–4pm     (330) 296–2811

logoLou Bertrand & Associates

Dedicated to Excellence

You Asked. We Answered.

You asked, we listened! We have answered some of the most pertinent questions of the year 2021 thus far. Don't look any further until you know the truths behind these questions. Make sure you have the correct representation for the legal issues you are faced with.


Injury Claims & wrongful death

What qualifies as a wrongful death? Wrongful death happens when somebody is killed because of another person or entity's negligence or misconduct. Even though there might be a criminal prosecution related to the fatality, a wrongful death lawsuit is a civil action that is seprate and distinct from any criminal charge.

What damages are recoverable in a wrongful death action? These damages include mediacl expenses, lost wages, lost earning capacity and others, in additon to funeral expenses in wrongful death claims. Non-economic damages may includude compensation for pain, suffering and emotional distress.

Who is the only law firm in Portage County that can handle these cases? Lou R. Bertrand and Assoicates is the only law firm in Portage County that handles these types of cases. We are experienced, confident and will help you achieve the results you deserve!

See More


dui & traffic violations

Were you charged with a DUI? A driving under the influence, alcohol or drugs is a very serious offense which can cost you your driver's license, jail time, alcholol rehabilitation and remains on your record for life.

Were you required to perform a physical coordination test? This test is usually performed using three different techniques, which you will be watch under a microscope and most likey, even if you perform well, you will still be asked to take a portable breathalyzer test - which are not as reliable.

Is a portable breathalyzer test admissible at trial? This test is NOT admissible at trial. If you are polite and cooperative it can get you off the hook. Obviously it is not hard like the physical coordination tests although if you have COPD or lung issues it requires the ability to blow very hard.

See More


family law & child support

What happens if a parent does not pay court ordered child support? The court has the power to hold a party in contempt for violating court order. In additon, many states have criminal penalties and Congress has enacted many new enforcement mechanisms such as: supsesnion of driver's and professional licenses, seizsure of tax refunds, seizure of bank and investment accounts and even publishing the name of the "dead-beat parent" in newspapers.

Do granparents have visitation rights? Traditionally, the common law denied grandparents visitation with a child over a parent's objections. But since 1965, all 50 states and the District of Columbia have enacted legislation enabling grandparents to petition the courts for visitation rights with grandchildren. The laws do not make granting of visitation rights automatic—they merely give grandparents the right to ask for a visitation order. Most commonly, a grandparent (or other permitted third party) may petition for visitation after the death of a parent or upon divorce of the parents. Some statutes allow petitions when a parent is incarcerated, when a child is born out of wedlock, and when the child has previously lived with the grandparent.

See More

Quick Links

credit cards

Contact Us

409 S. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266

(330) 296-2811

Monday-Friday: 9:00am - 4:00pm
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed

Lou Bertrand

While this website provides general information, it does not constitute legal advice. To schedule a consultation with an attorney, please call or email us today.

Find & Review Us:

Check the Date